Since joining the Board in 2016, John personally:
- Advocated for an academic focus on problem solving, rather than a focus on standardized testing
- Donated his Board salary and spearheaded an initiative to purchase safety glasses for the entire student bodies of both Alta Loma and Parkway Heights middle schools prior to the 2017 solar eclipse.
- Helped focus the Board on completing upgrades to Buri Buri Elementary School and continuing construction at Parkway Heights Middle School.
- Led an transparency initiative that led to all regular Board meetings being live webcast and archived online.
- Helped push policies that will soon lead to full-scale recycling and composting on our campuses.
As member of the Board, John has also played a collaborative role as the Board:
- Improved campus facilities (e.g., new athletic courts and field lights at El Camino, fencing at Ponderosa, detail work at Parkway).
- Worked with local business partners, such as Genentech (which donated a "science garage" at SSF High), in order to prepare our students for the jobs of tomorrow.
- Kept close watch on partnerships like the one above in order to limit corporate influence on our curriculum.
- Valued our teachers and helped them live in the Bay Area by approving 9 percent in cumulative raises since end of 2015-16 school year.
- Showed financial discretion in order to rebuild reserve levels and preserve our District's Aa1 bond rating from Moody's.